Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Farm Sanctuary Saturday!

          Today was a special day—one I've been looking forward to for a while now: Farm Sanctuary Saturday (or at least, that's what I'm calling it)! And I was so happy to have my dear friend, Rachel, join me for the adventure.
          If you're unfamiliar with Farm Sanctuary, here's a wee bit of background: Basically, it all began in 1986, when Hilda the sheep was pulled from the "dead pile" at a stockyard, rehabilitated, and then went on to spend 11 years living life to the full in the green pastures of central New York. 
          Hilda became an emblem of hope and inspiration for rescue workers, who turned her recovery into a lifelong mission to "end cruelty to farm animals and promote compassionate living through rescue, education, and advocacy." Today, Farm Sanctuary is the leading farm animal protection agency in the United States.
brown cow (not Hilda)

          So, why was I so psyched to be a part of this thing?
          My dietary changes may have initially been sparked by sheer physical pain and discomfort, but the more I've learned about foods and ingredients and the way they affect my body, the more my eyes have been opened to the horrific truths behind how certain foods are processed in this country—namely, meat and dairy products. 
dairy industry = mean to cows

          I don't want to go off on a factory farming rant in this small space, but let's just say that I sincerely believe in what the folks at Farm Sanctuary are doing, and I was delighted to be a part of it, if only for a day.... even if it meant shoveling a barn full of cow manure, which it did!
          But aside from the pitchfork poo scooping and shrub-pruning yard work, we had plenty of fun bonding with both workers and animals (and each other, of course!).
meet Snickers, the steer
Rachel and the goat, sharing an inside joke
a particularly goofy goat
turkey says, "wassup..."
bonding with Fiona, the pig
sleeping beauty
me having a moment with another pig...
and finally, meet Emily...
          So, all in all, my muscles are sore and the backs of my legs are sunburned, but I'd recommend a day at Farm Sanctuary in a heartbeat to anyone who wants to get an up close and personal look at what true compassion and kindness can do for a bunch of otherwise ill-fated farm animals.
          To learn more about Farm Sanctuary and their ongoing efforts to rescue, educate, and advocate, as well as how you can get involved, click here. And if you happen to live near one of the two sanctuaries, located just outside of Watkins Glen, NY, or  Orland, CA, sign yourself up for a farm tour or a volunteer work party (which is what we did today)!
          Oh, and here's their most recent blog post: Animal Photo of the Week: Lily

4 comments:

  1. Great entry! I don't know if you remember me, but my boyfriend Kevin and I are interns working at Farm Sanctuary and we happened to be on cleaning duty with you guys during your work party! I'm glad you had such a great time. Farm Sanctuary really is the best place on earth!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I remember you! Rachel kept commenting on how much she loved your hair ;-) And thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed my post. We had a wonderful time there... How's the internship going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's going great! Kevin and I are going back in August and then we are trying to get employed there after that, too. Do you guys live close to the sanctuary?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I took so long to write back! I haven't been blogging as much these days... We both live in Rochester, so it's an almost two-hour drive to the sanctuary. I want to take my nephew there before I move out west at the end of August, though, so maybe I'll see you again ;-)

    Good luck with the job thing; sounds like a perfect fit for you two!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails