Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Smells Like Soccer

     Don’t you just love how a simple scent can transport you to another place and time? No mental energy involved—you’re just there, in an instant.
     When I stepped outside today, after a long serving shift at the restaurant, to take my dog, Conan, for a walk, the first gulp of fresh air I breathed in filled my mind with one resounding thought: soccer.
     As a little girl, I played soccer every summer. I continued playing through my freshman year of high school, but it’s those childhood summer games that stick with me. I don’t know if it was the freshly mowed grass or the hint of June in the air or the birds chirping, but every bit of what I was inhaling late this afternoon had me back on that field, with bruised knees and grass-stained shorts, running like a maniac and feeling young and free and alive and all that good, sweet, innocent stuff.
     Oh yeah, and after every game, we’d go out for ice cream. I don’t have any dairy-free frozen desserts on hand at the moment, but the memory is sweet all the same ;-)
Conan (the barbarian)

2 comments:

  1. My smell memory? My first boyfriend lived in a house full of cats. So whenever I smell cat pee, I get all amorous and starry eyed.

    I wish I was kidding.

    That doggie is the cutest thing I've ever seen. He reminds me of a dark version of Falcor from Neverending Story! :)

    I've been emailing back and forth with another bloater like you, me, and Iris. I suggested your blog and she likes it a lot! So keep it up girlfriend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That's great, because I totally call him that (Falcor). He especially looks like the enchanted luck dragon when you smoosh his face at a certain angle (don't worry, he loves it).

    Thanks for the words of encouragement, and the charming cat pee story. You have made me smile yet again ;-)

    p.s. I made mac n' cheese with Daiya tonight--amazing! I took pics and will be reporting... (with the proper credit given to you, of course!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails